Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Workshop 1

Round II of Becoming Writers at the Washington Heights CORNER Project began with a writing exercise: Write about a first time that changed you. After we had written, all participants read their work. Discussed the elements of memoir as people shared what they had written. Discussed how memoirists utilize the elements of fiction to tell a true story. Pointed out examples that we saw in the writers’ work, such as the construction of scenes with dialogue and sensory details. We talked about reflection and the reflective voice, which is quintessential to memoir, and how our lives situations tell a larger story; it is one of our jobs as memoirists to underscore the larger ideas or themes the moments of our life illuminate.

“Do you find that people open up in their writing?”  One participants asked. Yes! I teach writers of all stripes and from all walks of life— everybody’s got a story, and sometimes our writing is the place we go “deep.” Discussed how writing can be therapeutic— “but it’s not therapy,” I said. Our task is to not just change the way we feel but to produce writing that emotionally connects to a reader, that communicates our experience and our ideas, that can potentially change people’s minds and make them see the world in a different way. I pointed out how memoir is not a person’s whole life story; rather, it is one story. One story— even a couple sentences can tell a lot.

Class went on, as we made a list of “first” — situations in our lives that told a larger story, that held a greater significance. We read our lists aloud and then chose one situation from our lists for a second round of writing. When we’d finished, I read the first couple pages of Piri Thomas’ memoir, Down these Mean Streets, which was a scene describing the first time he ran away from home.  Then, participants read what they had written.

Prompt: Write about a "first" that changed you. 

The First Time I Smoked Crack
By Patty 

The first time I smoked crack I was with a group of guys that I used to hang and drink with in the local neighborhood bar. We were all at my friend Jeff's studio apartment. It was Jimmy, Matt, Tiffie, Jeff and myself, sitting around the table listening to music, drinking and doing some lines. Next thing you know Jimmy passes me a pipe and I take a hit. I thought it was weed but I quickly realized it was far from it. 

I remember telling them guys to adjust the radio because I'm hearing static but soon found out it was the effects of crack cocaine. I can remember feeling euphoric and more sociable. I liked the feeling so much that it soon sent me off to the races. That was my first experience with crack and it sent me on a thirty year search trying to capture that feeling again. Needless to say I never did. Ultimately, it destroyed two-thirds of my life. 


My First Publication
By Blueyz

The first story I wrote was for my second grade class. The best three stories were going to be published in a short story book. I remember being really excited and knew I had to come up with something great. 

I decided to write about something close to me in my life, my dog! I wrote a fictional story about my dog saving my life from a pack of wolves in the forest of Pennsylvania. I gave as much detail as I could for an eight year old writing a short story. When the day came for class to find out the winners, I didn't really think I would be one of them. When they said my name for the second plea winner I was shocked and happy.  

I received a certificate for a young authors award and a place in a book. I don't know the name of the book nor did I ever see my story again. They kept all of the copies of the book and I never got the book. 

Today I received a book of short stories and I'm in it. I feel good about it and can't wait to show my family.   

Blueyz first story appeared in our first anthology, CORNER Stories: Writings by the Washington Heights CORNER Project Community BUY CORNER STORIES HERE [http://www.cornerproject.org/donate/store/]

No comments:

Post a Comment